Posts Tagged ‘fire’

Fire prompts warning about space heaters

December 29, 2010

The Burlington Free Press reports an all-too-common winter story about a house fire started by a space heater.  Fortunately the house wasn’t completely destroyed, and no one was injured in this case.  But it could have ended very differently.   As Kathryn touched on last month, space heater safety is very important.   As the Fire Marshall’s Office said in this case, space heaters should be used only temporarily and kept clear of combustible materials.

Stay warm–but be safe!
Mike

Insulation batts blamed for several fires in Australia

September 29, 2009

As reported by Malcolm Holland in The Daily Telegraph, improperly installed insulation has resulted in seven home fires in Sydney, Australia in the past six weeks alone.  New South Wales  Fair Trading Minister Virginia Judge said yesterday many insulation batts were being laid incorrectly and that  at least 26 homes in NSW had been destroyed or damaged this year by fires caused by poorly placed ceiling batts touching recessed lights. Several fires happened within a day of batts being installed.

The ARRA tax credits encourage people to add insulation, and that’s a good thing.  Just make sure that it’s done correctly and safely, whether you do it yourself or hire a contractor! 

Yesterday’s post on recessed can lights points to this—as do earlier posts about DIY insulating.

Be comfortable, be energy-efficient, but above all, be safe!

Thanks,
Mike


%d bloggers like this: